"Adding additional aspects can easily be overlooked, but that wow factor of projects where you can say, 'wow, yeah that’s Hastings,' it's designed by the community and ties back to the character and uniqueness of the community," said Sam Kessel, senior project landscape architect.
Related Media Links
Riverfront Renaissance Improvements
City of Hastings, Minnesota
The City of Hastings wanted to revitalize and reconnect their downtown to the Mississippi River. Bolton & Menk collaborated with the city to develop a three-phase Downtown Riverfront Renaissance project. Phases one and three focused primarily on the downtown infrastructure, while the second phase focused on Levee Park, a prominent park straddling the Mississippi River and downtown business district.
Collaboration with city staff, stakeholder groups, and the public aided in the development of a park master plan. The master plan included a limestone amphitheater, musical playground, ice skating rink, branding and signage, enhancement of the Mississippi River Trail, and a veterans memorial. Final design services, including construction document development and construction administration, were also completed.
Through combined efforts, the city now has an updated park linking downtown to the Mississippi River.
- Award 1 American Public Works Association – 2018 Small Cities/Rural Communities Public Works Project of the Year: Structures
- Award 2 American Council of Engineering Companies of Minnesota – 2017 Honor Award
- Award 3 Minnesota Chapter of the American Public Works Association – 2017 Project of the Year Honorable Mention
- Award 4 Minnesota Recreation and Park Association – 2017 Award of Excellence
- Award 5 League of Minnesota Cities – 2016 Excellence Award