The American Council of Engineering Companies (ACEC) - Minnesota Chapter recognized the Shakopee Mdewakanton Sioux Community at the annual banquet on Friday, January 25, 2019. The CSAH 83 Improvements project received the Engineering Excellence Honor Award for their work to expand a county highway and rebuild an internal roadway system under a constant flow of more than 20,000 vehicles per day.
Scott County Highway 83 serves Prior Lake, Shakopee, and Mystic Lake Casino/Hotel. In 2015, Shakopee Mdewakanton Sioux Community, with Scott County and the City of Prior Lake, began work with Bolton & Menk under an aggressive goal to complete planning, permitting, design, and construction to address traffic challenges. Unique design solutions included a high-volume ramp system and new one-way internal roadway. Seven jurisdictional agencies came together in strong partnership for critical approvals and design requirements. The project was accomplished from concept to completion in just 28 months while navigating:
- Five acres of wetlands and landfill permitting
- Three critical path total property acquisitions and resident relocations
- Public right-of-way acquisitions
- 15 private utility companies with impacts and/or relocations
- Six critically tied but separate projects delivered in parallel