Hopkins - 2018 Street & Utility Improvements
The project involves street and utility reconstruction improvements including storm sewer, water main, and sanitary sewer replacement along the streets bound by Blake Rd, Highway 7, Texas Ave S, and Lake St NE.
A map of the project area is shown below. The project will be constructed in multiple phases over the summer of 2018 by the City’s Contractor.
Project Location Map
Project Status, Schedule & Updates
The assessment role for the City of Hopkins was adopted by City Council at the Public Assessment Hearing held on May 15th, 2018. Also at this meeting, the contract was awarded to S.M. Hentges & Sons, Inc. Hopkins property owners have received a separate letter with the final assessment total. St. Louis Park property owners will not be assessed for this project.
The final interest rate for the Special Assessments has been determined. Payments can be made without interest until July 31, 2018. Payments can be made with interest between August 1 and November 29, 2018 before going on property taxes. The interest rate is 4.904%. Questions regarding special assessments can be directed to the special assessment clerk, Mary Lein at 952-548-6310.
Construction is underway! Please see Construction Updates for more information on the construction schedule.
Josh will typically be on-site or nearby to assist you.
Mike Waltman, of Bolton & Menk, Inc., is the Project Manager overseeing the project.
He can be reached at (952) 890-0509 or (612) 221-6946 or firstname.lastname@example.org
Eric Klingbeil is the Assistant City Engineer for the City of Hopkins.
He can be reached at (952) 548-6357 or email@example.com.
Joseph Shamla is the Senior Engineering Project Manager for the City of St. Louis Park.
He can be reached at 952-924-2552 or firstname.lastname@example.org
Work Scheduled for the Week of May 6 – May 10
- Concrete driveway, sidewalk, and curb repairs will begin on Monday, May 6 throughout the project area.
- The project team has marked concrete areas in pink paint that will be removed and replaced by the contractor. There are some concrete driveway panels that need to be replaced and a notice will be given to individual properties that their driveway will be getting replaced and they will need to park on the street to allow the concrete to fully cure. Driveway and alley access will be restored once the curing process has been completed, usually 5-7 days
- Other miscellaneous clean-up items will occur throughout the project area.
- Concrete Alley repairs behind Lake St NE. Residents off of the Lake St Alley will be notified separately at a later date.
- Turf restoration will be finished throughout the project area by the end of the month.
- The project team has identified certain areas that need to get fixed by the contractor regarding sod issues, but residents should contact Josh Hrabe at (612-965-2473) to report their concerns with their yards by May 15th. Once the contractor has addressed sod issues, there will be a 30-day warranty in which the contractor will water and maintain sod. After the 30-day warranty the sod becomes the responsibility of the property owner/tenant to maintain. A notice will be given to residents regarding the end date of the warranty.
- Clean-up work will wrap up by the end of the month.
- Striping on some of the roads is scheduled to occur by the end of the month.
Should property owners have any questions about this information or the project in general, please contact Josh Hrabe at (612) 965-2473.
Nick Amatuccio can also be contacted with questions about the project at (612) 965-3926
Q: How long will it take to complete this project?
The project is scheduled to begin in May or June and be substantially completed in October/November, 2018. The project will be broken up into phases so that not every block will be under construction at once.
Q: What work will be done on the project?
- Replacement of the sanitary sewer system along all of the Hopkins Streets.
- Replacement of the watermain system along all of the Hopkins Streets.
- Replacement of sewer and water services along all of the Hopkins Streets.
- Storm sewer replacement throughout various locations in the project area.
- Street pavement reconstruction along Texas Ave S, Division St, Cambridge St, Oxford St, Murphy St, and Lake St NE.
- Pavement rehabilitation of the existing asphalt alley south of Lake ST NE and west of Texas Ave S.
- 5 ft concrete bike lanes on both sides of Texas Ave S.
- 5 ft concrete sidewalk on the east side of Texas Ave S.
Q: Will streets be closed during the project?
During working hours, 7 AM to 7 PM M-F and 8 AM to 6 PM on Saturday as necessary, some access will be restricted as the street is under construction. The City will work with the contractor to minimize the duration and extent of closures.
Q: Is there someone I can talk to about specific construction related issues or concerns at my property?
Nick Amatuccio is the Project Engineer and can be reached at 612-965-3926 or email@example.com.
Josh Hrabe of Bolton & Menk is typically on-site during construction and will be serving as a liaison between property owners/residents and the contractor. Leading up to and during construction, Josh can be reached at 612-965-2473 or firstname.lastname@example.org